BRIEF HISTORY OF PALAZZO ROMANI ADAMI
Palazzo Romani Adami is a national monument, a 4000-square-metre palace built in the 1700s with eighteenth-century and Art Nouveau furnishings, medieval and ancient Roman remains, pre-Roman underground caves, frescoed halls, terraces, courtyards, patios, gardens.
It is a luminous oasis of silence and beauty in the center of the small art city of Fermo.
The complex is divided into two bodies from different periods: the part facing Corso Cavour is from the eighteenth century; the oldest part, on the other hand, with medieval structures and remains of Roman origin, is open at the back towards the small streets of river pebbles, which allow you to walk up to the Cathedral. Historical research testifies that this area has been inhabited for 3,000 years.
Palazzo is located a short distance from the magnificent Piazza del Popolo and from Piazzetta, the fulcrum of popular neighborhoods in the Middle Ages.
Palazzo Romani Adami is an architectural testimony of the economic history of Fermo, a symbol of the agricultural economy of the Marche from 1700 until the middle of the last century; here the products of the countryside were processed, to then be sold in the 5 “fondachi”, the roadside shops. The carts pulled by oxen arrived with olives, wheat, grapes inside the building passing through the rear streets, entering from the garden inside Palazzo.
Palazzo was built resting on the hill that rises on the “back” of the building, with an ingenious scheme of entrances which allowed easily agricultural products to be delivered from the countryside to the different floors of the PALAZZO.
The monumental part of the PALAZZO, located on the main façade, was accessed on important occasions such as family celebrations and receptions for the aristocracy and the authorities: the entrance hall is the monumental entrance to the palace, with the huge, very bright eighteenth-century gallery with arches and balcony painted, living rooms, and the ballroom.
The building is owned by the Romani Adami family, one of the families with the greatest historical importance in Fermo. The Adami family has been present and documented in the life of the government and of the city’s businesses since about 1100. When San Domenico arrived in Fermo around 1214, he was hosted by the Adami family. Lorenzo Adami was at court and in service as captain of Queen Christina of Sweden. In the first half of the 1700s the Romani family joined the Adami family with a marriage and it was then decided that the surnames would be united. Today the building is a charming historic residence: its spaces, in faithful respect for history, are available to guests from all over the world for temporary stays, ideally aimed at those who love beauty, art and history.